Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mary and Me..


I am currently going through a mid-twenties crisis. Tonight,I laid on my bedroom floor for hours romanticizing thoughts of moving to England. I envisioned meeting a tall, dark and handsome English boy (think Mr. Darcy). We would get married and live in a flat overlooking the Tower Bridge. We would drink hot tea and sit in pubs at night. Then reality hit me and I realized I had a research paper due. Ugh. I feel like my whole life consist of chasing rainbows. I constantly daydream of greener grasses and fields of flowers. Being 23, single, and not really knowing my place in life leaves me anxious for discovery and the excitement of newness. My latest obsession is Mary Tyler Moore. That girl knows how to make singleness and independence look enchanting. As a matter of fact, the theme song is stuck in my head right. "Who can turn the world on with a smile..." I just want adventure and something more than the monotony of going through the motions of life. Please, don't mistake my belligerent babble in that I am discontent with my life or unfulfilled. My life is completely full and exudes joy. I just constantly wonder if there is more. I often ponder if I myself am living it to the fullest. I wonder, why Fairy tales can't really exist. Why can't these stories of people who travel the world, living in hostels and teaching scuba diving lessons be realistic? I wanna eat Curry in India. I want to walk the streets of Minneapolis and dance in the snow. I want a boy to whisk me away on his vespa down the streets of London. Is this too much to ask? Maybe I just like the idea of it all. Maybe chasing the rainbow is more captivating then actually finding the pot of gold. This whole twenties thing and trying to find myself is way more difficult then I ever imagined. I'm just gonna take it from Mary. She seems to live one day at a time and embrace change or consistency as it occurs. She's always ready for anything. So this blog is dedicated to Mary. As I venture on this journey we call life, may I be as prepared to turn the world on with my smile as Mary was. I might just "make it after all" ;) .

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog last night - hope you don't mind if I follow ya!
    Just wait until your 26 and still don't have all the answers yet. I have found that a quarter - life crisis is necessary sometimes!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Thanks so much for reading my blog! That is awesome. It's good to know I am not alone at least. I feel like quarter-life crisis' are going to become a frequent in my life, but at least you grow with each one!

    ReplyDelete